Monday, September 20, 2010

"A Bay Park"


We went to what Kyle called "A Bay Park" that he and the girls allegedly saw on a bike ride. Only after walking for five minutes did I find out that this park consisted of a trail, lots of spiders, plenty of pebbles just the right size to get into your shoe and NO playground. On the way back to the car we had a discussion on vocabulary.


DESPITE that, it was fun. We all had a good laugh, saw lots of birds, picked a few flowers and even found a large snail shell displayed here by the delighted Meghan.



393 Carl Road, Sunnyvale, Ca

2 comments:

Beanie said...

Matt says there wouldn't have been any confusion if you knew orthographical differences between "park" and "park," much like "capitOL" and "capitAL." In case that was not enough, he also cites http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/park?r=75&src=ref&ch=dic

Tanya said...

Personally I think we should go back to the old style of writing where everyone spelled how they felt it should go. I would totally go for the phonetic approach.

And as for the whole PARK thing I would refer to what I call the usage principle. Sure the walk was technically on a park, but what is the common usage of the word park in our house for a mother with three young children? "Hey Meghan, would you like to go to the park?" "Why yes Mother, I would love a lengthy nature walk." Probably not.

Its like the stupid argument of whether tomato is a fruit or a vegetable. Sure its technically a fruit, but its frequently used in a vegetabley way.