Monday, June 18, 2007

Moving to Maryland Part 1: Getting Started


For our Move to Maryland we decided to drive across country, towing a trailer filled with our junk. I was sure it would be an adventure. Even the UHaul that we rented said "America's Moving Adventure" so that was counted as a positive sign. I was a little nervous about whether we would fit everything into the UHaul but since we sold so much stuff at the Knorr K-norr Emporium Garage Sale there was no problems.


The actual moving part of the Move to Maryland began in the evening. We arranged to leave from Riverton (where Kyle's parents live) at night so that Meghan would sleep most of the first couple of hours. We packed our bags and said goodbye to Kyle's family. It was sad to leave but we would/will see them again.



We set out East, headed towards Wyoming. Meghan quickly fell asleep, as we predicted. As we hopped on the interstate we were confronted with our first problem - one that would stay with us the rest of the trip. As Kyle accelerated, the trailer began to wobble back and forth. This wobbling may not have been too big of a deal in a bigger car but our little Blazer started wobbling along with it. I was sure we were going to die. After a few phone calls and reassurances that wobbling trailers weren't a big deal and that we should just go slow, we rebuckled our seat belts and drove into Wyoming.


Wyoming came quickly, and with it a lovely sunrise. Kyle, being the trooper he is, did most of the driving. I stayed in the back and slept and fed Meghan as she needed. I was also in charge of documenting the event. Here are pictures from our first day.







No comments: