Thursday, August 20, 2009

Guitar, Old School

I got a new guitar. It's a classical guitar and I'm working on learning some classical pieces. I'm not really good yet, but I am showing progress.

The whole story: at the end of July I wanted to get a music book to get better at reading standard music notation and grounding in some fundamentals. I went into a guitar store and got a copy of "The Complete Carcassi Guitar Method." I looked through it and it seemed to be a pretty good grounding.

I started working through it with my archtop, but I started realizing I'd really like a classical guitar to match my book on classical guitar music, and for playing unplugged.

In looking around, it seemed like the Yamaha CG111C was the best deal on a solid topped classical guitar. So Tanya and I figured out a way to budget it. I picked it up at a local music store (well, relatively local). They were the nearest authorized Yamaha dealer, and they happened to have one in stock when I called. I really liked the way it sounded, and they gave me a good deal on it.

Bonus points for anyone who can tell me what kind of shoes I was wearing when I took the picture.

1 comment:

Beanie said...

Matt guessed platform shoes but after closely examining your photo on high resolution he changed his answer to stiletto heels. I think you are wearing socks.
Could we get more bonus points for telling you what books you have on your shelf?